Praying Through Grief
October is a special month for Catholics - the month of the Holy Rosary, a time to slow down, to pray, and to walk with Mary through the life of Jesus.
This year, I find myself praying the Rosary differently.
I come to it not only as a mother or a woman of faith, but as a widow. And somehow, that has changed the way I see Mary.
We often remember her as the young woman who said yes to God and the mother who carried Jesus in her womb. But through my own loss, I have begun to see her in another way... as a woman who, according to Christian tradition, may also have known widowhood.
Scripture does not tell us when Joseph died or describe Mary's life afterward. But knowing that possibility makes Mary feel a little closer to me.
Because being a widow means learning to live in a world that suddenly feels different, to carry the memories, the love, and the life you once shared into the days that remain.
Mary, Who Feels Closer Now
When I think of Mary now, I see a woman whose life was shaped by faith, surrender, and an unexpected path.
We know very little about her life after Joseph, but we know that she continued to walk faithfully alongside Jesus and the mission God had entrusted to Him.
Loss changes the life we imagined, but it does not take away our capacity to love, to serve, or to find purpose. Perhaps this is what I need from Mary most - not an answer to my grief, but her quiet example of continuing to trust God when life takes an unexpected turn.
She reminds me that widowhood is not the end of my story. It is learning how to live a different chapter of the life I have been given.
Stay with the memories.
Stay with the love.
Stay with God.
And take one more day.
The Rosary as a Place to Put My Grief
Since becoming a widow, I have found myself bringing to the Rosary the things I cannot always put into words.
Prayers for my children.
Prayers for strength.
Prayers for the days when grief feels especially heavy.
And prayers of gratitude for the years I was blessed to love and be loved.
Each mystery gives me a quiet place to bring my memories, my questions, and my grief.
The Joyful Mysteries remind me of family, love, and the preciousness of ordinary moments.
The Mysteries of Light remind me that even when life changes, there can still be purpose in the life we are called to live.
The Sorrowful Mysteries remind me that suffering is part of our human journey, and that I do not have to carry it alone.
And the Glorious Mysteries remind me that God's promise is greater than what we can see in this moment.
The Rosary gives my grief somewhere to go and my faith somewhere to grow.
A Widow's Prayer
This October, I hold my Rosary as someone still learning to live with loss. Some days I pray with peace. Some days through tears. And some days, simply holding the Rosary is enough.
Mary, stay close to me as I learn to live with this loss.
Help me hold both grief and gratitude, longing and hope.
I pray for my husband, my children, our family, the life we shared, and the grace to keep moving forward.
Perhaps praying through grief is simply asking God to walk with us through it.
One Hail Mary at a time... One day at a time.