Love: Spoken from the Heart of Christ

The Seven Last Words of Jesus Christ are far beyond utterances of pain, suffering, and agony. They are, above all, expressions of love—love as symbolized by the Cross.


First Word of Love: “I Forgive You”

“Father, forgive them, for they don’t know what they’re doing.”
Luke 23:34

Jesus' ultimate sacrifice on the Cross is all about forgiveness. His love is unconditional, and His mercy is for everyone.

Even when I sometimes choose not to acknowledge the wrong things I have done, Christ is always ready to forgive me. It is as if He is saying, “I love you despite the many times you have hurt Me, and I forgive you.”

Many times, I find it difficult to forgive someone who has caused me a lot of pain—especially when that person is someone I love dearly and hold close to my heart. But Christ's love is greater than any pain. He reminds me that only through true forgiveness can I finally be set free from it.

Second Word of Love: “I Promise You a Lifetime of Happiness”

“I assure you, today you will be with me in paradise.”
Luke 23:43

One of the most familiar lines in a wedding ceremony is, “Till death do us part.” The love between a husband and wife is meant to reflect a commitment that endures through life.

But as with all earthly relationships, death eventually separates us.

Christ's love, however, is beyond death. His love promises eternity, happiness, and togetherness with Him.

Whenever I find myself feeling unloved, abandoned, or betrayed, I remind myself that Christ's love is for keeps. People can fail me. I may expect others to keep their promises and sometimes end up disappointed.

But Christ promises to love me eternally—and He never breaks His promise.

Third Word of Love: “You Will Never Be Alone”

“Woman, behold your son… Son, behold your mother.”
John 19:26

As a mother, it is quite unimaginable for me to think of losing my precious child. But Mary, the Mother of Christ, had to bear the pain of witnessing her Son's suffering and death.

Yet Jesus, understanding the sorrow of His mother, made sure that she would not have to go through it alone.

For me, this is one of the most touching scenes in the history of our salvation—the love of a mother for her son and a son for his mother. It never fails to bring me to tears.

Jesus reminds me that whatever I may be going through, He is always ready to comfort me. It is as if He is telling me, “You are not alone, and you never will be.”

I trust that no sorrow or pain will ever be too much for me because Jesus will take care of me, just as He cared for His very own mother.

Fourth Word of Love: “Call on God Your Father in Times of Doubt and Fear”

“My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?”
Mark 15:34

It is probably difficult to fully understand what Jesus was feeling at that very moment when He uttered these words.

But perhaps, in His most human moment, He wanted me to feel even closer to Him. He wanted to assure me that He feels what I feel and understands what I am going through.

Jesus reminds me to have faith in God, my Father, and to trust that He is always there.

All it takes is a humble heart to call on God. Once I acknowledge that God is the only One who can truly satisfy the deepest desires of my heart—the only One who can take away my doubts and fears, the only One I will ever truly need—then I have enough reason to believe that He will never abandon me, especially in the moments when I need Him the most.

Fifth Word of Love: “I Long for Your Love”

“I thirst.”
John 19:28

Jesus longs for my love.

Perhaps, in the final moments of His suffering, all He wanted was for me to affirm my love for Him too. He never asked for anything in return when He chose to suffer and die for my sins, but to love Him back would make all that pain worth it.

Have you ever loved someone who did not love you back?

I know I have experienced that many times in the past. The emotional pain of unreciprocated love can sometimes hurt even more than physical pain.

Jesus deserves my love. After everything He has done for me, loving Him back is the least I can do.

“I love You, Jesus.”

Sixth Word of Love: “My Mission for You Is Complete”

“It is finished.”
John 19:30

The movie The Passion of the Christ by Mel Gibson is the closest depiction I have seen of how Christ might have truly suffered. In fact, after watching it for the first time, I could not bring myself to watch it again. It was simply too much for me.

I remember the moments when I get hurt or go through difficult times. I often find myself asking God, “When will this all end?”

But whenever I think of the actual physical and emotional pain that Christ went through, I can somehow understand the relief behind the words, “It is finished.”

Anyone who has suffered enough would wish for the pain to end.

But these words meant something much deeper for Christ.

They meant, “Mission accomplished.”

“You are saved.”

“Your sins have been redeemed.”

These are clearly words of love for me. Christ assures me that through every difficult and trying time, He will be there until the end. He will see me through.

Seventh Word of Love: “Put Your Life in God’s Hands”

“Father, into Your hands I commend my spirit.”
Luke 23:46

Through the example of Jesus, I have learned that a life for God does not guarantee a life free from problems and suffering.

Despite being a missionary and serving God for most of my life, I have also gone through many challenges. But somehow, these difficulties have also given me opportunities to grow and to live my life more fully.

In spite of all the hurt and pain, I need to continue entrusting my life into the hands of God.

He knows what is best for me, and He knows fully well the desires of my heart. His plan is perfect, even when I may not understand His ways.

With God, everything has a purpose.

A life surrendered to God is a life worth living.

Jesus, thank You for Your words of love. Thank You for reminding me that love is greater than any pain.

Thank You for assuring me once again that Your death gave me life, so that I may fully experience God's unconditional love.

Popular Posts