Life is a Gift
I was a college student when I was first diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I still remember my doctor explaining that the condition could affect my hormones and possibly make it difficult for me to get pregnant someday.
I remember being worried about it, although motherhood was still something that felt far away at the time.
Like most women, I dreamed of having children of my own. I looked forward to the day when I would experience what it was like to become a mother.
When I got married, that little concern stayed somewhere in the back of my mind. I knew that getting pregnant might not be easy, but I tried not to dwell on it.
Then one day, I found out I was pregnant.
I can still remember the feeling—the excitement, the surprise, and the realization that I was carrying a life inside me.
My husband and I were so happy.
We began imagining what it would be like to have a baby. There was so much to look forward to, even though it was still very early.
For those few weeks, I experienced something I had always hoped for.
I was a mother.
Sadly, eight weeks into my pregnancy, I had a miscarriage.
It was difficult to accept. I had only known my baby for a short time, but the love was already there. There were already hopes and dreams attached to that little life.
Losing the baby made me realize something I had never really thought about before: how fragile life can be, and how precious it is simply because it exists.
Motherhood, I learned, doesn't begin the moment you hold your baby in your arms.
For me, it began the moment I knew there was a life growing inside me.
Even though I never got the chance to meet my baby, that little life changed me. It made me appreciate motherhood in a way I don't think I could have understood otherwise.
It also made me more grateful for the gift of life itself.
We often take so many things for granted. We make plans, look ahead, and assume we have time. But sometimes, life reminds us just how little is actually within our control.
I don't know what the future holds for me as a mother. I don't know when I will have the opportunity to hold a baby in my arms again.
For now, I simply carry this experience with me.
I am grateful for the short time I was given to know that little life was there.
And I believe that every life, no matter how brief, has meaning.
Perhaps that is one of the first lessons motherhood has taught me—that life is never something to be taken for granted.
It is a gift.
And every gift deserves to be cherished.
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps