The Lego Lesson
I love watching my son play with his Lego toys. I enjoy seeing how his simple yet vast imagination can create different scenes, each with its own story and adventure.
One day, however, he came to me feeling frustrated and disappointed.
“Mommy, look at the car I built yesterday. It’s broken!” he said, showing me one of his Lego creations. “I don’t know how to fix it again.”
“Of course you can,” I encouraged him. “Just try your best to build it again.”
“But I don’t remember anymore,” he said, almost ready to give up.
“Okay,” I told him. “If you can’t build the exact same thing, why don’t you just build a new one?”
He went back to his play area and started building.
After a while, he came back and proudly showed me his latest masterpiece.
“Mommy, look! I built a new one. And I like this better than the one I built yesterday!”
I smiled.
It was such a simple moment between a mother and her son, but it made me stop and think.
Just like his Lego car, there are times when we feel frustrated and disappointed with life. When things don't turn out the way we planned, we can easily become discouraged. There are moments when we feel broken and don't know how to put the pieces back together.
Sometimes, we spend so much time trying to rebuild exactly what we once had that we fail to see the possibility of creating something new.
But perhaps that is one of life's greatest lessons.
Not everything that breaks needs to be restored exactly as it was.
Sometimes, we are given the opportunity to build something different. Something stronger. Something better. Something we never imagined possible.
Our brokenness and our painful experiences may become part of what shapes us. They teach us, strengthen us, and help us grow into the person we are meant to become.
When life feels like it is falling apart, we have a choice. We can keep looking back at what we lost, dwell on our mistakes, and wish things could go back to the way they were.
Or we can pick up the pieces, learn from what happened, and begin building again.
Maybe we won't create the same life we had before.
Maybe we'll create something even better.
And just like my son's Lego car, we may one day look back and say:
“I built a new one, and I like this one better.”
Perhaps that is how God works in our lives too. Sometimes, what feels like an ending is simply an invitation to begin again.